Our Next Guest is... Something to Style Over's Lea Burton
Nov 17, 2019
Hi Lea, tell us about your blog!
Something to Style Over is an Interior Design blog for curated and inspired interiors. I feature Home Tours, Designer Profiles, Products, and more.
How long have you been in business?
- I started my Instagram on January 1st, 2019 and my blog in February!
How did you know you wanted to start your own business?
- For now, Something to Style Over is simply a hobby. I have a full-time job at a residential Interior Design firm that I love but I needed a creative outlet that was my own. I’ve always loved writing and social media so an Interior Design blog was an easy decision. I hope to one day (sooner rather than later) start my own design firm!
How did you decide on this niche?
- Like I said, I work in an Interior Design firm and it is my passion! I truly love it.
Lea at High Point market scoping out the latest interior design trends.
What was the hardest part about starting your business?
- Honestly, making the initial jump to “just do it!” You can always think of excuses not to do something so just making the decision to actually do it was a huge jump. Oh, and of course the tech side of website management, ha!
Where do you gather inspiration?
- So many places! I know it’s cliche but I get so much inspiration from Instagram. I also get a lot of inspiration from traveling and architecture. I could spend hours walking around a new city.
What has been your biggest achievement within your business thus far?
- Having a solid group of readers and followers who I know enjoy my content. Having a lot of followers and readers is great and all but it’s a good feeling to know you have formed a little community of people who look forward to your work.
What are your current goals/plans for your business?
- I would love to start working with more brands. I have a few exciting collaborations and giveaways coming up in the near future that I can’t wait to share! I’m also working on some tech stuff behind the scenes with my website design, so getting all of that done is a huge (but boring) goal! I’m also working right now on creating a more cohesive “brand” for my website and Instagram. Like I said above, my goal for the future is to start my own residential design firm so I’m hoping having this platform will be a good stepping stone.
What missions and values do you align with your business?
- I always try to be as genuine as possible. It’s so hard through social media but I hope to convey who I am and my personality through my content.
What is one piece of advice you could give other women who are wanting to start their own business?
- Follow your heart! There are so many people out there who will have opinions on what you’re doing but if you listen to yourself you will always find the way.
Where can everyone find you?
Thank you so much for sharing your business and inspiration with us, Lea! Make sure to go follow her on the 'gram.
P.S. Have you joined us yet in the free group, Productivity Hacks for Overwhelmed Bloggers? It's filled with bloggers just like YOU who want to create successful, viable, and sustainable influencer businesses. I saved you a spot right here and I can't wait to see your pretty face!
P.P.S. Right now you can get on the waitlist for my signature program, The Organized Influencer Academy©. It teaches you exactly how to create a financially successful, viable, and sustainable influencer business. Get on the waitlist!